South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) was founded in 2007 as a result of community interest in creating opportunities for the public to learn about estuaries, geology, natural and cultural history, marine life, and human impact on the Puget Sound (2nd largest estuary in the U.S. by size and largest by volume).
In 2010 South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) was granted federal 501 (c) (3) status and has been registered since 2007 as a non-profit corporation with Washington Secretary of State. SSEA is also registered as a Washington state charity.
Our goal is to increase residents and visitors of all ages, understanding and appreciation of south Puget Sound and willingness to make personal changes in behavior to protect our marine and estuary environments. We provide numerouse learning opportunities – the Beach Naturalist program, offered at local beaches during summer low tides, the fall/winter “Discovery” Speaker Series, our yearly on-the-water fundraiser “Cruising for the Sound” , educational booths at community events, presentations to local service groups and clubs and monthly night time underwater viewing of marine life – Pier Peer at Boston Harbor Marina. In development is an aquarium, estuary/marine focused interactive interpretive center somewhere in downtown Olympia, Washington.
Establish and maintain a center that expands environmental knowledge; and fosters public awareness, enjoyment and health of south Puget Sound estuaries through classroom, field and on the water interactive educational opportunities.
An educated community that is engaged and inspired to promote the ongoing health, conservation, and restoration of south Puget Sound.
- Provide high quality educational opportunities.
- Provide an exceptional interpretive center in Olympia, WA.
- Respect, protect and help conserve the environment.
- Provide educational content that focuses on the challenges and successes in the restoration and protection of the South Puget Sound region.
- Enhance access and knowledge of partnering organizations and the programs and services they provide.
- Engage and inspire community through interactive education.
- Facilitate opportunities for direct involvement.
Over Arching Goal:
To connect people and nature through hands-on education, stewardship and recreational opportunities.
Explore • Connect • Inspire
1st Tuesday of each month, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm. MIXX 96.1 conference room.
email@example.com or message phone 360 754-7371.
South Sound Estuary Association Brochure
Download our 2011 SSEA Brochure.